Monday, October 22, 2012

Getting into the Halloween Spirit

With a 4 year old and a 6 year old residing in our home, there are certain expectations we must live up to for Halloween.  Although, I'm still not ready for the craft show, I decided to take some time away from the preparations and do some crafts with the kids!

1.) Witch and Scarecrow Plate Face: We used styrofoam plates and construction paper to make a witch and scarecrow face. I drew the hat and hair shapes on the construction paper, while the kids cut and glued them onto the plate. They were especially surprised when they saw the new supplies I bought for them (bought them at "back to school" sales and hid them in the closet until now)

2.) Styrofoam Cup Spiders: The plan was to make them black, but the kids decided to paint their styrofoam cups rainbow colors! (My theory: It's their craft--I help them construct it, but it's ultimately their project to decorate how they wish.) Once it was dry, we inserted 4 pipe cleaners (folded in half to make 8 legs). We then glued the little jiggly eyes onto them--this was their favorite part of the craft and they went crazy with eyeballs!

3.) Mummy Shelf Sitter: We recycled the cardboard insert for paper towels. I cut it in half, and each child tore paper towels into strips. Next, they glued them onto the cardboard, and drew some eye onto their Mummy.

We decided on a light lunch of sandwiches and a cup of milk......They were pleasantly surprised with their afternoon and said we must to this every year! :)

Last year for Kylie's preschool snack, I made cups with Oreo "dirt cake", which included gummy worms and cookies in the shape of fingers. Of course, I forgot to take a photo to share! This year, I was assigned the Halloween snack again. I found the Halloween themed cups at Pat Catan's (50 for about $2). Because of the craft show preparations, I was short on time, and decided to do marshmallow fondant fingers with sliced pecans for the nails. I attached the sliced pecans with red piping gel. Kylie (4 yrs old) was pleased with the results and couldn't wait to show her classmates.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment